Just in case you're curious or inspired, I'll tell you how I made someone's junk into my free treasure.
Recovering an Ottoman
First, I cleaned it and sewed up the holes in the ottoman fabric. I also took out the button in the top.
I took inspiration from the existing fabric shapes on the ottoman, so I traced one of the shapes on the top, on paper to make a template. I just added 3/8 inch on each side for a seam allowance. Then I cut out the shapes from my fabric.
|4 pictured... though I used 8 to make the full circle of course.|
|To start sewing them together I placed two right sides together and sewed one of the long sides, then unfolded it.|
|Setting up thte 5th piece.|
|Right sides together, ready to sew now.|
To sew them together, I placed two pieces right sides together. I stopped sewing 3/8 inch from each edge to leave space to tuck the next strip in to sew.
When the top circle and side rectangle were complete, it was time to sew them together. I put them right sides together and sewed away.
|As it sewed around, I adjusted the side rectangle to be even with the top circular edge.|
I wanted the fabric to be stretched taut, so I used my staple gun to secure the fabric to the bottom of the footstool. I made sure the cover was placed straight and stapled it down with one staple on 4 sides.
Then I stapled in between these first staples, working in gathers all along.
I used the fabric that was already on the bottom of the ottoman to cover the stapled edges. I just pulled it up, stapled the jean fabric down, then used my glue gun to glue the bottom fabric down again. You could use another fabric to cover it if needed.
Of course, if you didn't want to use a staple gun, you could make a seam at the bottom edge of the cover and have a slipcover that removes for easy cleaning and everything. This was my first time using a staple gun though, and I have to admit it was fun.
I hope you enjoyed this project. I'm going to go put my feet up. ;)